Steel itself is a construction material that has been around for a long time, and when it comes to prefab buildings it’s the perfect choice. Still, there’s so much about steel that is useful and explains why it’s such a great material to use for building projects. Steel is a material that is versatile and useful in many different ways and no matter what your end goal is, a prefab steel building is among one of the best building options available on the market. While using materials like wood, brick or concrete can yield similar results in terms of strength, there are qualities unique to steel that you simply won’t be able to get anywhere else. Here are just a few facts about this recyclable, resilient and durable material.
● Steel is 100% recyclable and is actually the most recycled material in the world. The majority of the steel products currently available on the market, from construction resources to cars, is made from recycled steel. It’s a material that also never loses its strength with each “cycle” of us, so it will always be as strong as when it was first produced.
● New steel relies heavily on the use and reuse of scrap metal and because it’s a material that never loses its strength no matter how many times it’s recycled, it is a truly sustainable material.
● A staggering percentage of some of the most popular steel products are made mainly from recycled steel, including 72% of cans and packages, 90% of appliances, 93% of cars and 98% of steel used for construction purposes.
● Recycling steel is great for the atmosphere also, as reusing just a single ton can cut CO2 emissions by around 80% vs. the emissions created when producing new steel.
● On a year basis, around 60 million metric tons of steel is recycled in the U.S. alone, much more than other materials like glass, paper, glass and plastic combined!
● As an essentially renewable resource, the steel industry has long been on the forefront of environmental safety; having began recycling over 150 years ago in comparison to many industries only becoming environmentally conscious within the last 20 or 30 years.
● For as long as steel has been recycled, the industry is always finding new ways to make the production process more efficient and create better and better steel as well. Today, steel is around 30% stronger than before and requires about 35% less energy to produce when compared to 40 years ago
● Because steel has magnetic properties, it makes it much easier to sort through the scraps as well as transport them from one place to another. Handling the scrap steel can sometimes be dangerous due to cut, sharp edges, but typically huge electromagnets are used to get the job done.
● With prefab steel buildings, you can guarantee that the majority of the metal used in the structure is made from recycled materials, and it’s a big part of the reason why they are widely considered a “green building”
Speak with a building designer for more information 1-888- 345-7833